1. YouTube wasn’t launched until 2005, so if you wanted to learn how to create a look, you basically just had to wing it.
With no guidance, you were left to fend for yourself.
#natural #nomakeup #orangeface?
— basically beyoncé (@ptvlawren)
Often with terrible consequences.
Those terrible consequences may have had something to do with this.
Now, everyone seems to know what took so many of us so long to figure out – how to match their foundation to their skin.
Sige para walang bashers hahahahaha #PowerOfMakeup 😂😂😂
— laine (@lelainedg_)
2. Back in the ’00s, contouring wasn’t something people did on a regular basis, if at all.
(Maybe for the best.)
The ’00s did have bronzer though, which, like many things during this glorious decade, had a tendency to make you orange and glittery.
Perhaps* we will all collectively look back on the contouring epidemic in 10 years’ time and cringe.
3. If you had darker or yellow-toned skin, then ’00s make-up didn’t make you orange – it probably didn’t make you anything, because most high-street brands just didn’t cater to you.
Now, at last, companies are beginning to realise that there are more shades than “medium beige”!! There are even UNDERTONES!
4. And can we talk about sperm brows?
Like the financial crisis and dial-up internet, this is something that should stay in decades past.
5. Lipliner was inexplicably several shades darker than the rest of your lip colour back in the ’00s.
6. But now it has been revived as the secret to life-changing transformations.
Lip liner is literally my life
— Hipster ✌️ (@jesssicaa2raww)
7. In the ’00s, everything was applied either with your fingers or these guys.
Now, make-up brushes are the needy babies in your life that need to be bathed and laid to bed regularly.
After cleansing my make up brushes and sponges I leave them to dry on the window ledge #makeup #Makeupbrushes
— MRV (@MRVJO)
…to a 12-step sacred ritual.
My detailed skincare routine #beautybloggers #beautytips #skincareroutine #cosmeticsfollowers #rosedamascena
— Hinda (@HindaCorner)
But now, they’ve evolved into a new form of potentially lethal high art.
10. R.I.P body glitter.
Now, highlighter is your preferred method of reflecting light.
Someone ask this horse what highlighter he using 😂😂
— الجمال العربي (@BeautyArabian)
Body glitter > highlighter? Discuss.
11. But one thing hasn’t changed: Make-up is about making yourself feel good.
So if you truly love it, use all the Dream Matte Mousse and apricot scrub your heart desires.